Pages

Saturday 27 July 2019

Imma come back like a Boomerang, Jojo Siwa who?


Explain the purpose of the activity
In the migration topic, we have been focusing on the Indigenous people of Australia. One of the many tools that they used were Boomerangs. Boomerangs were used for hunting and used as toys for children to play with. After doing a research project on Boomerangs, we were tasked with creating a design for our own boomerangs. Using the knowledge that we now have, we all created a design and painted it on a boomerang. The purpose of this activity was to utilise what knowledge we have now gained and put it into a final product. By creating a story using Aboriginal symbols, we used our new knowledge and did something with it, we managed to create a final product that actually showed our learning.

Explain the story that your boomerang tells, and include what the colours mean
The story that I have on my final boomerang is different from the story that I had originally. When I was first coming up with my concept design, I had a very complex story and had many complicated symbols that proved to be tricky to pain, so I simplified my design quite a bit. At the start, I had taken a legend about the humans invading the watering hole that the animals drink from, but the symbols that I used were extremely complicated to paint and ended up looking messy when I had painted it so I ended up covering it up. The brown background represents the dirt areas of Australia, many parts of Australia are covered by dirt, so I thought I would include that. The blue and green swirly circle represents the watering hole and the black arrows represent Kangaroo tracks, I used the white dots to symbolise humans entering the watering hole area and had the Kangaroo tracks leaving the watering hole. The yellow, black and red dots all over the Boomerang are the colours of the Aboriginal flag, so I decided to include them as well! I did the particular zig-zag pattern because it is very similar to other Boomerangs that some of the Indigenous Aborigines used.

What was a challenge during this activity?
There were a few teething problems with my Boomerang. During the painting process, I completely changed up my idea and kind of messed up really badly when I was painting the dots, but other than that, it was a success. I used a pen end to do the dots, so I can't really expect much. The final throwing of the Boomerangs was fun, other than the fact that we threw them when it was foggy so if it went quite far, we would have a hard time finding them as the fog was quite thick. The initial throwing of my boomerang was sadly underwhelming, my athletic ability isn't exactly the best so the boomerang didn't go very far. But I still enjoyed throwing it because my design looked quite nice in the air.

1 comment:

  1. Nadia
    A well written blog post. I enjoyed your description of your process, and have the impression that you are comfortable with the fact that your first attempt didn't work out as planned. That is really important, we all need to feel comfortable with that. Design thinking uses the phrase 'Fail fast, fail often'.. so important in our work and our existence. Being prepared to take risks is an important attribute in our kura journey towards a centre of creative excellence. Well done. Is there anything you would change about the story, and it's telling, on the boomerang, now that you have had that chance to reflect? Ka mau te wehi!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.