Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2016

My micro beads artical




















I think I achieved LO 1 because I defined sustainability. I also explained how micro beads are a risk to fishes and people.
I think I achieved LO 2 because I explained the impact micro beads has on people and marine life. I also explained what we can use instead of micro beads.

What is sustainability?
I think sustainability means using non- reusable and usable resources for different reasons but not abusing the environment.  

Q.1 How do micro beads get into  our waterways?


Micro beads enter our environment by getting washed down our drains. Micro beads are so small that they cannot be filtered in sewage systems, therefore they flow into our ocean, lakes, rivers and waterways where they float and absorb toxins. Then sadly marine life mistake them for fish eggs and eat them. This makes them even more dangerous than a discarded plastic bottle.  

Q.2 How are micro beads used?



Micro beads are used in toothpaste, facial scrubs, soaps, exfoliating creams/ scrubs  etc.  Facial scrub  company Clean and clear claim that they use “Micro Scrubbing beads” to break down trapped oil, dirt and dead skin, Hip hop skin care also use micro beads in their products. But instead they disguise micro beads as polyethylene and polypropylene as do many other toiletry companies.  


Q.3 What can we use instead of micro beads?
Light exfoliation : finely ground up oats or you could use baking soda. If you want mild exfoliation you could use, ground up almonds or walnuts help with removing blackheads on your face, jojoba beans are a safer way to go if you have a nut allergy, many people get microbeads and jojoba beans confused but they are not the same, jojoba beans are a natural exfoliant made from jojoba oil which is biodegradable and renewable. Lastly for strong exfoliation use salts,sugars,apricot shells and coffee grinds.  



Link to Q.2 I actually searched some facial scrubs that I know of and looked at the ingredients and directions etc. I was looking for polyethylene and polypropylene. Clean and clear and Hip hop skin care were the one that I found had micro beads. Clean and clear, Hip hop skin care


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.