Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer learning Journey week one day one: Setting Sail


Activity one: The first settlers
It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture. Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?


Here are that facts that I have learned about Maui...
1. Maui is in a whole lot of legends in the world and they are a bit different in every country in the Pacific.
2. Maui was the youngest of the five sons of his mother Taranga. His mother believed Maui was still-born and in her grief wrapped him in a bundle of hair (tikitiki) and cast him upon the ocean. He floated in the hair knot to a beach where he was found by his tupuna Tamanui-ki-te-rangi who raised him as his own.
3. In the myth, Maui used his magic fishhook to pull New Zealand's North Island from the depths of the Pacific ocean as a huge fish. The fishhook was magic, a talisman with great meaning and power carved from the jawbone from his grandmother. 
4. Maui is also an island in Hawaii.

Activity two: Setting sail
The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…


Dear Jordan,
The past weeks have been tough. The perilous journey we are making has made everyone stressed out. We have come across a few obstacles on our voyage to a better home. On Tuesday we encountered a large sea beast that was attempting to consume us. All of this travelling is making me miss home. I am always finding myself thinking about all of the fun that we used to have together in our tree fought. This new country that we are seeking seems to be further than I though I would be. We have been sailing in our waka for two weeks now and we still have further to go. How is everyone in the village? I miss them so much, make sure you tell them that. 
I hope that I can see you soon, 
Yours sincerely, 
Nadia. 

Bonus activity: Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races. Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

In my opinion, Waka Ama seems like a very challenging sport. You need to work as a team and be strong enough mentally and physically. Personally I don't think that I would like to be in a Waka Ama race simply because I would not be strong enough. Since I am very competitive, I would hate to lose that because I wasn't strong enough. But if it wasn't a race I would probably join in especially if I was with my friends.


This blog post is my first post for the summer learning journey. The summer learning journey is a challenge in which students do a blog post once a day. Doing this will make sure that the student doesn't lower their literacy skills over the long summer break. I volunteered for this challenge and I am enjoying it so far! 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Nadia,

    My name's Ruby from the Summer Learning Journey and I will be one of the people who is blogging with you this summer! I am really excited to read about what you have to say on your blog.

    Activity one: Well done! These are 4 awesome facts. I really like how you have laid out your thinking, it is easy to read and understand.

    I wonder why there is an island in Hawaii called Maui. Do you think they named it after the Maui in the story?

    Have you heard of any other stories about Maui? I know there is a very good one about Maui and the Sun. If you want to read it, here is the link:

    http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/How-Maui-slowed-the-sun

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ruby,
      I am glad that you enjoyed reading my facts and letter. I read on a website that the person that found Hawaii named his son after a demigod called Maui and then named one of those islands after that son.
      Here is the link to the website I found with that explanation https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865648129/The-demigod-Maui-and-his-islands.html

      I have learnt about some other stories of Maui, they are all very interesting and my favourite one was probably how he formed New Zealand.
      - Nadia

      Delete
    2. Hi Nadia,

      Awesome! That is a very interesting website. Thanks for showing it to me!

      Cheers,
      Ruby.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nadia,

    Great to see that you are powering though these activities! Well done.

    Activity two: I think this is a great letter. You have written it as you would a real letter and I think that is great. I like how you mentioned that you used to build tree forts together and I also like your use of the word “perilous”. Great work.

    Have you ever been on a trip away from home? I often get homesick when I go away and I’m sure that happened to these voyagers too!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Ruby,
      I also like the use of words in my letter. I tried to use some interesting vocabulary just to make sure the letter isn't boring. I have been far away from home more than once. Since I was a part of a choir exchange with an Australian school, I went to Australia with the choir and stayed at someones house. The person that I stayed with actually stayed at my house the previous year so I was actually quite comfy. I have also been to Malaysia twice with my family and I stayed there for a month and I quite often found myself missing my cats. I can't wait to see more of your comments soon.
      - Nadia

      Delete
    2. Hi Nadia,

      You did a great job! The letter wasn't boring at all.
      How cool that you have been on holidays like that! That must have been a lot of fun. Where in Australia did you stay when you went there with your choir?

      Cheers,
      Ruby

      Delete
  3. Hi Nadia,

    Activity three: I think you have some very good reasons for not wanting to be in a Waka Ama race. I wouldn’t want to be in one either. I can’t swim very well and I would be afraid of falling in!
    I like how you have acknowledged that Waka Ama would be a challenging sport, it definitely would be! I also think that it would be fun to have a go in a waka with my friends.

    Well done with today’s post! You’ve done a great job!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby,
      I can't swim too well either so that's also another reason why I wouldn't be able to participate in a waka ama race! My friends and I probably would have fallen out of the waka multiple times!
      Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
      - Nadia

      Delete
  4. Kia Ora Nadia

    My name is Jolie and I go to Glen Innes school. I am also doing the Summer Learning Journey which is great. I love every detail that you have put in your blog. especially your letter to your friend. Cant wait to see more of your work. Have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jolie,
      Thank you for commenting on my blog! Soon I will do a comment on your blog as well! Have a great holiday.
      - Nadia

      Delete
  5. Nadia
    This is a fantastic blog post.. well written, and very thoughtful. I like the level of detail that you have put into your writing.

    Your writing makes me think about the courage of voyagers throughout history. I am a huge admirer of our Polynesian voyagers , travelling well out of sight of land when their European counterparts were afraid to lose sight of land. Any thoughts on how our own personal voyages do the same? What about your own personal voyages? When have you 'lost sight of your own 'land'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Mr Sutton,
      I have tried my best to include as many details as I can and I thank you for noticing that. I also am a huge admirer of our Polynesian voyages, they had a lot of courage. When I went to Malaysia, I got homesick, I missed my own house terribly. There are many differences between Malaysia and New Zealand and I had to get used to all of these differences. Much like the Polynesian voyagers, I had to get used to a difference climate and different surroundings. We also ate difference things than in New Zealand. The first time I went I was around 9-10 years of age, so I had homesickness a lot. I missed my cats terribly.
      Thank you for commenting...
      - Nadia

      Delete
  6. Evening Nadia,
    Firstly, how awesome is the summer learning journey! Your blog seems to be getting lots of attention and well deserved. I look forward to following your learning!
    I have often wondered what it would be like to travel in a waka across the ocean, I doubt it would be as beautiful as the Moana movie would make it seem, I would be afraid of the large waves, perhaps that was an inspiration for the tales of devouring sea monsters.
    How do you think they battled the elements on their long journeys? the sun and the cold nights and the loneliness of the sea.
    Looking forward to reading more!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Miss Richardson,
      I am really glad I signed up for the summer learning journey, since I have nothing to do in the holidays, it's great that I have an option to maybe improve my literacy!

      I think that it would have been terrifying, sailing across the ocean. Large waves would most definitely been an obstacle for all of the voyagers. The loneliness of the sea would probably be the hardest element for me to conquer personally. Being very social, not having someone to talk to would be very boring and sad for me. But with elements like wind and sun/rain they could have woven some sort of traditional cover to protect them from the dangerous weather. I haven't actually thought about how they would've protected themselves.
      Hope to see more comments from you!
      - Nadia

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.