Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer learning journey week one day two: Its all in a days work


Activity one: A house or a home?
In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house? On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

Some interesting facts about these traditional houses...
- Wharepuni are what are described as rectangular sleeping houses, in the 1800s most Māori people lived in villages called pa.
- Each of the villages had a kauta as well. Kauta were where people cook. They also had Pataka where they stored some goods and wharepuni was where the Māori slept.
- The doorways of the wharepuni were very small.
- The roof was made with timber, rushes and things like that.

There are a few similarities between modern houses and the wharepuni.

For example one of the similarities is what these houses are made of. Both of these houses are made of wood. In most cases, wood is a traditional base for a house. They both also have a door, window, roof and have four walls.

There are also some differences with these houses. In the paragraph above, you may have noticed that I said that both of these houses have a window, but there is a slight differences with these windows. The window on the wharepuni isn't actually a window, it's just a square-shaped hole in the wall but in houses nowadays windows are an opening in the wall or roof of a house or building, fitted with glass in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out. The other difference is that this house is actually just a sleeping house. Normal houses these days are for shelter, to protect us, to keep us safe, but the wharepuni is just a house where the Maori people slept. 

The wharepuni's have some differences and similarities. But one question I have is does it look like my house? The answer depends on what angle you are looking at the houses from. If you where looking from the front of my house, there are most definitely some similarities between the houses. Like how there is the roof and then a window in the corner. So the answer really depends on what angle you where looking from. 

Activity two: The rules of engagement
During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home. These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher! What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland because I would love to become a travel blogger and photographer one day.

My dream job is to star on Broadway. Since I was little I have always aspired to be an actress famous for her acting and singing skills. I have already done some acting things at school, such as the Lion King Musical performance. You can read about it here. I have drawn a picture of me on the Broadway stage, I really hope that it could be me in real life.


Bonus activity: Special meals
Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum! On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!

My favourite meal comes from my mothers birthplace Malaysia, it is called nasi lemak. Nasi lemak is a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. We serve it with fried chicken. 

Here is the link to the Nasi Lemak... http://www.curiousnut.com/nasi-lemak-with-fried-chicken/

7 comments:

  1. Kia ORa Nadia,

    Amazing work so far. Wow very different style of food from mine and what I eat. These are very different and amazing answers to these questions. What was the best past of the Nasi lemak you have made? Keep up the amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kia Ora Mya,
      The best part of Nasi Lemak for me is probably the fried chicken. The fried chicken brings the whole dish together.
      Thank you for reading my blogpost.
      - Nadia

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Nadia

    My name is Jolie and I go to Glen innes School. I am also doing the Summer Learning Journey which means that I can see more of your work. I love your work because it is so detail Quick question was this task hard or easy? Have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolie,
      I tried my best to include as much details as I can. This task was pretty easy, the hard part was adding details.
      Hope to see more comments and I will check out your blog soon!
      - Nadia

      Delete
  3. Hi there Nadia,

    Great job on the blog post, I really liked reading through your differences and similarities about the modern house and wharepuni. Something to think about for a difference between the two, do you reckon that all modern houses are made of only wood, or do you reckon there are different materials that are used for modern houses? Also think about the location of the two houses. Would they both be located in the same areas?

    For your second activity, I think it’s amazing that you want to be on Broadway! Drama performances and musicals are my favourite thing to watch. Also the Lion King is one of my favourite movies ever and I think that’s brilliant you were a part of the school performance, and playing such a key role like Scar. Amazing! There’s even a Broadway Musical of the Lion King which is one of the most successful musicals today! Is there a particular role in a performance that you would like to play one day? Keep up the awesome work and be a part of as many drama performances as you can and then maybe one day you will end up on a Broadway stage!

    Also with your bonus activity, that nasi lemak looks incredible and is making me very hungry! Cheers for including the recipe, I might just try it! That’s awesome that it originates from your Mum’s home country. Do you get to eat it all the time or only on special occasions?
    Looking forward to hearing from you Nadia and keep up the awesome blogging.

    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade F,
      I do think in most cases that houses are made of wood, but there are most definitely other materials needed to build a house. Most houses these days are located near each other on a street, but the wharepuni were probably a bit further away from each other.

      I also love the lion king movie, it has a very similar story line to the hamlet play written by William Shakespeare. Speaking of Shakespeare, I also have a passion for all acting, including Shakespeare. I have been a part of the Shakespeare festival for two years and still going. For our production, we were inspired by the costumes, makeup and sets from the lion king musical. We tried to incorporate some of the elements from this musical into our own.

      There isn't a particular character I want to portray yet! There could be an amazing one being created that I could portray you never know really!

      Our family eat the Nasi Lemak on special occasions such as Eid al-Fitr. Eid al-Fitr is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting. Our family and friends gather for a big celebration, all of the children also get money as a present.
      Hope to talk to you soon.
      - Nadia

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.