Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

Summer learning journey week one day four: Hitting a high note


Activity one: A song in your heart 
In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. What is your favourite?
Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

My favourite waiata has to be Ma te kahukura. There are a couple harmonies that sound really nice to listen to. Our school kapa haka group sang this song at an assembly and I instantly feel in love with it. I researched for some other waiata but this one was still my favourite. I think that the music is played on a guitar.
Here is the link to the waiata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf-LXtQJ4I

Lyrics and their meaning :
te kahukura ka rere
Te manu
ngā huruhuru nei
Ka rere koe
Rere runga rawa e
Ka tae atu koe ki te taumata
Whakatau mai e

Mau ana taku aroha
Whai ake I ngā whetu
Rere tōtika rere pai
Rere runga rawa e (x3)
Rere runga rawa e


Take flight like the bird that is adorned with the colours of the rainbow

Soar high towards the heavens,

And as you arrive to the pinnacle of your destination,

There is where you may rest.

Cloak yourself with my love

Follow the pathway to the stars,

Fly straight, fly true.

Soar high towards the heavens


Activity two: Playing games
Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations? Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

The game that I like the most is Tapu ae, it is a ball game. The aim of the game is to hit all tupu with the ki and the team that does that first wins.

Start the games by throwing the KI into te Ao (the middle zone) this is done after each tupu hit.
If a team losses possession out of bounds over the sides, then they hand over the KI to the opposition

If it goes out over the back, the defensive teams kaitiaki gets the KI
The KI must be touched by your team in te Ao, before the attack can gain possession
If you are using a poi, attackers need to keep the poi swinging, if the defender is close enough to hit with the poi, then they are too close, if 2 people catch the poi at the same time then the closest to the ki (head) retains possession. You need 6
-10 tupu (these can be cones with balls on top or old bottles filled with sand or water) KI, can be a ball, ki or poi, Filed marking, Bibs to identify teams. This game would be fun to play with family member and friends. I think that every person in your family would love to play this game.

Here is a video on how to play Tapu ae...






heavens.





3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Nadia,

    My name is Hazel, and I will be one of the people blogging with you over the summer while Jade is on holiday.

    Well done on a great blog post! I especially like how you have included a link to a video of the waiata. I listened to it, and I agree that it is a beautiful waiata. The lyrics send a great message too.

    I read your description of how to play Tapuae. Have you played it before? We played at school during P.E. and it was a lot of fun. Have you played any of the games before?

    Keep up the great work!

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Nadia,

    My name is Georgia and I am the cluster manager for the Kaikohekohe (Northland) cluster. For the next few days, I'll be commenting on students blogs from Uru Manuka and I am very excited to see the work you all have been doing this summer.

    I really enjoyed listening to the Waiata that you chose as your favourite. I think it sounds very beautiful, good choice! I also like that you included the lyrics and their english translation - what great thinking, so people who don't speak Te Reo Maori can understand what the song is about.

    I haven't heard of Tapuae before, it sounds like an awesome game! I am very competitive when playing games and Tapuae definitely sounds like my kind of game. I'll have to try it sometime, maybe when I go back into my schools I'll teach some students the game.

    Nga mihi
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiaora Naida.

    My name is Clare and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey, I work in the Ako Hiko Cluster and teach at Wesley Intermediate School check out my class blog.
    https://wisbrink.blogspot.com/

    You have done some wonderful work here and showed the concept of Learn Create Share.
    Tapue is such an awesome game. I have played it lots with my classes that I have taught over the many years of teaching. Do you play this game at school now with your teachers at Hornby High School?
    I would recommend this game to other students to play it at lunch time and in PE classes.

    You have done such a great job by posting a really beautiful waiata here on your task. Where did you first hear this song? Thanks for adding a you tube clip to it also so its gives us a direct link to listen to this song ourselves.

    Comment below to get more points.. also you can get more points by commenting on other blogs and giving people some quality blog comments.
    Maybe next time you could add each task to a seperate blog post.

    Catch you later.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.